PGCPS LogoPrince George's County Public Schools
  • A Parent’s Guide for Communicating with Staff and Receiving School-Related Information

    A Parent’s Guide for Communicating with Staff and Receiving School-Related Information



    Contacting Staff

    Calling the Main Office: All phone calls to WMMS are initially filtered through the main office 301-808-4055. Secretaries are available to answer the phones between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Calls will be forward to a teachers voicemail during instruction.

    Voice Mail: All staff members are assigned a voice mailbox. If the staff member requested is unavailable at the time of the call, the caller will automatically be forwarded to the staff member’s voice mailbox. We encourage callers to leave a message on the voice mail. Please allow 48 hours for a return phone call.

    Email: All staff members are assigned an email account through Prince George’s County Public Schools. A complete listing of staff emails can be found on Walker Mill’s website. When emailing staff, please allow 48 hours for a response. Emails are usually the best method of communication except in cases that require immediate attention.

    Parent/Teacher Conferences:

    Conferences can be scheduled directly through your child’s School Counselor. Conferences are scheduled berween 8:50 am and 9:20am  or during a teachers planning period. The School Counseling phone number is 240-767-4930. If an interpreter is needed, please contact your child’s School Counselor at least one week prior to the conference.

    Recorded Phone Messages

    General Messages (Blackboard): Time-sensitive, important messages will also be programmed into the phone system and sent to all WMMS households as needed. Please make sure your telephone numbers are accurate in School Max which can be done through the School Counseling Office.

    Absences (Illness):  If your child is out of school 3 or more days, work can be requested through Ms. Watts  in the School Counseling Office.Please allow 48 hours for work to be requested from teachers.

    School’s Website:  Walker Mill  has an extraordinary website with a plethora of information for our WMMS families. Some of the links include: academics, athletics, administration, events, school calendar, counseling, faculty listing, PTSA, testing and much more. website:



    Prince George's County Public Schools uses the SchoolMAX

    Student Information System to manage student data, including grades, attendance records, and schedules. The purpose of this system is to help the school to communicate with parents/guardians regarding their child’s academics, attendance and behavior. In order to access the site, you need a username and password to log on. If you do not have a username or password, please contact your child’s administrator.

    Grading Policy Administrative Procedure 5121.2

    Progress Reports/Report Cards:  

    All progress reports are distributed to all Prince George’s County Public School students about 4 1⁄2 weeks into each quarter and report cards are distributed about 9 weeks into each quarter. Both progress reports and report cards are sent home with the student. Please refer to Prince George’s County school calendar for a list of progress report and report card distribution dates.

    Parent/Guardian Concern Process

    Teacher Concerns and Academic Concerns

    Step 1: Contact the Teacher

    Step 2: Contact the Department Chairperson

    Step 3: Contact the School Counselor

    Step 4: Contact the Grade Level Administrator

    Step 5: Contact the Principal

    Special Education Concerns

    Step 1: Contact the Teacher

    Step 2: Contact the Case Manager

    Step 3: Contact the Special Education Chairperson

    Step 4: Contact the School Counselor

    Step 5: Contact the Grade Level Administrator

    Step 6: Contact the Principal

    School Counseling and scheduling concerns

    Step 1: Contact the School Counselor

    Step 2: Contact Assistant Principal

    Step 3: Contact Principal

    Administrative Concerns/Policies and Procedures/Family Portal

    Step 1: Contact the Assistant Principal

    Step 2: Contact the Principal